Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Things I learned in Ireland...

I figured that, before I completely forget the intriguing, fun and useless facts* I learned while in Ireland I should write them all down and share them with my fellow bloggers.  Not that these realizations will in any way help anyone, but more so that I can remember them (AKA this is how I’m procrastinating doing loads of laundry, unpacking, and going through the 1,500+ pictures we took during the week.) 

(*Okay, so I’m using the word “fact” rather loosely here since these are really more my opinions than facts, but it’s my blog so I’ll do what I want to!)

Fact 1: Ireland truly has more shades of green than there are words for.  Seriously, I started trying to come up with better ways to describe the different hues and ended my train of thinking with “really, really, awesomely green”.  (See my very first blog…I don’t claim to be creative.)
Really, really awesomely green...

Fact 2:   The TempleBar in Dublin, although being completely cliché and tourist-y, is hands down THE best pub I’ve ever been to.  Nothing will beat the amazing live music that causes the entire bar (tourists and Irish alike) to clap, stomp their feet, and break out into random jigs.

Fact 3:  When in doubt, follow the giant cock.  ROOSTERS you pervs!  Ever since The Bloggess shared her incredible story about picking your battles and giant metal chickens named Beyonce (click here if you missed it) I have been somewhat obsessed with finding giant chickens wherever I go.  Upon waking up my first morning in Dublin, Mr. and I walked aimlessly to find a place for breakfast when BAM!  Right next to our hotel was a little pastry shop (Queen of Tarts…A-MAZ-ING) and what should I find in the window but a giant rooster holding cupcakes!  Of course I HAD to go in, and thank your religious figure that I did because it was AWESOME!
You know you can't resist my tarts...

Fact 4:  Bulmers, the preferred Irish girly-cider-beer drink, is disgusting.  Drink a real beer or order a vodka-diet and get it over with.

Fact 5:  Irish B&B’s ROCK!  We met some of the friendliest, accommodating, genuinely nice people staying at random B&B’s.  They’ll let you sleep in their homes, cook you great breakfast, and help you figure out where to go…and you don’t even need to book ahead!  (And, bonus, it’s WAY cheaper than hotels!)

Fact 6:  Irish people are VERY serious about traffic cones.  Where, in America, 10 cones would be sufficient, the Irish use 50 just to make extra sure you know where to go.
The cones went on like this for the next 3+ kilometers...


Fact 7:  The Dingle Peninsula beats the Ring of Kerry drive, no contest!  You get the same awesome views and a great fun city in between without having to drive 5 hours on winding roads around the Kerry Peninsula with a bunch of other tourists.  (And Fact 7-a:  You DEFINITELY don’t need to do BOTH drives…lesson learned.)
Seriously small, incredibly skinny roads in the beautiful peninsula of Dingle

Fact 8:  No matter how many times you distill it, I will not like your whiskey.  Good try Jameson.

2 comments:

  1. I've gotta disagree with #4. My mother just received three CASES of Magners (which is Bulmers from the North or the other way around, I can't remember) and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! =) So when we're in Ireland together on a girls' trip and someone buys you a Bulmers/Magners I'll take it off your hands for you and get you a Guinness.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay so now we for sure have to go to Ireland!! And with your great facts we will totally be able to survive!! I can't wait to see more pictures of the various shades of green and I will be calling for some travel advice!! We need a girls night soon.

    ReplyDelete