Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Wasting water...and time...


A few weeks ago our dishwasher decided to take a vacation.  This wouldn’t be a problem except that Mr. and I have NOT taken a vacation from using dishes.  We find that throwing our food on the table and eating it with our hands is not pleasant, and really not as efficient as using plates, bowls, and utensils.  (Our dog Rory, however, LOVES this scenario!)
Since we will be vacating our *cough* lovely abode shortly (one month EXACTLY from today, not that I’m counting) we decided against waiting around our house all day in hopes that the Spanish workers show up and actually fix our dishwasher.  This means that we are stuck hand washing dishes for the remainder of our time in Rota.  HAND WASHING!  I know, boo-hoo right?  There are starving kids in India who would give their left hand for food, let alone a reason to use a dishwasher, and I’m complaining about my month of Amish-ness.  It’s just that I really, REALLY hate hand washing dishes. 
Reason #1:   I feel that my hand washing dishes probably accounts for 70% of the water that is wasted on our planet.  I even took the time to look it up here.  Only 1% of the Earth’s water is usable by humans…if I’m using 70% of that I’m REALLY throwing the human race off-kilter! 
Reason #2: The dishes never seem to get clean.  No matter how much soap/water I use and no matter how hand-reddening-hot I make the water, the dishes still seem dirty to me.  Perfectionist?...maybe…
Reason #3:  It takes WAY too much time.  Generally I wouldn’t fret about this because I’m SO patient (ha…ha…ha…) but with just 31 days left until we make our big move from Spain to California I’m thinking time is of great importance in order to get the still loooooooong list of things I need to get done, done.
So, in the midst of my water-wasting, cleaning and re-cleaning, hour-glass-running-out-of-sand dilemma I take the time to tell the blogging world all about it.  Because I’m THAT dedicated to blogging…and because I haven’t posted anything for 9 days and am feeling a little guilty!  I’ll get better at this, I swear!

1 comment:

  1. If she hasn't already, Carolyn will read this and laugh at you. =) They don't HAVE a dishwasher in their new place, but they do live two blocks from the beach... trade off.

    ReplyDelete