Sunday, July 24, 2011

Ready or not...

Tomorrow morning we leave for our last European vacation while living in Spain…Ireland!  While packing today, I thought of something I should share with my immense group of followers.

 I have a problem.  I know, that’s vague and could cover MANY aspects of me and my life, but for today I’ll focus on just this one.   

Hello, my name is Shana, and I’m an over-packer. 

Whether we’re going somewhere for the weekend or we’re driving around Ireland for a week, when I’m done with my first round of packing (and yes, there is more than one round) I have usually cleaned out my closet to the point where a couple pairs of shoes and a few old tops remain.  I understand this to be a problem for many women people, so I don’t feel too bad.  However, I am absolutely clueless as to why I think I’m going to be a whole new person while on vacation.  I pack loads stuff that have literally collected dust in the back of my closet as if I’m miraculously going to find them less hideous when I wear them in (fill in vacation spot here).  Here is my wonderful packing routine for those who would like to mimic my misery (or feel better about yourself because you do the same thing, solidarity baby!):

Round 1 – pack everything you own…your closet should be nearly empty by the end of this round (don’t forget jewelry to go with EVERYTHING regardless of whether or not you actually accessorize on a daily basis)

Round 2 – Try on outfits to narrow down your selections and discard anything you feel like clawing your eyes out if you ever see again

Round 3 – Repack your “keepers”.  Reluctantly weigh yourself sans luggage, then again with luggage to see how overweight your bags are.

Round 4 – Continue rounds 2 and 3 until you are slightly underweight for the requirements of the airline you are flying with.  (Because of course you’ll do some shopping and need room for your loot on the return flight.)

VOILA! 

Of course, you can completely skip ALL these rounds if you’re driving or taking a train, because screw it, bring on the enormous luggage and have your all-so-happy-to-help significant other drag it all over in case the dress you bought three years ago that still has the tags on it is the PERFECT outfit on vacation day two.

Done packing, ready to go, and I’m almost positive I’ll have forgotten something at home when I land in Dublin but oh well!  For those who care (and just in case for me and Mr.), we’ll be driving around Southern Ireland.  We have NO plans, just winging it, which makes me completely nervous but I’m sure it will all work out.  And in case we don’t come back, send a search party.  Southern Ireland isn’t too big right?

No comments:

Post a Comment