Monday, April 2, 2012

"Unshopping"

I have come to the realization that I have what I am dubbing an “unshopping” problem. 

unshopping   [un-shop-ing]

noun

1.       A person who shops, but does not buy

adjective

2.       Pertaining to examining yet NOT buying merchandise

Example: Shana found a really cute Kate Spade lobster purse at Nordstrom Rack, but did not purchase it, making her an unshopper.

Yep, that’s right.  A few weeks ago I found a super cute Kate Spade lobster purse at Nordstrom Rack.  After pining over it for about a minute, I talked myself out of buying it.  Why?  Because two weeks ago we had no jobs and spending money on a lobster purse that would go with about two outfits I own didn’t seem like a very responsible decision.  Now I am regretting this line of reasoning as I decided I should get it, went to Nordstrom Rack here in Arizona today to find it and there was no lobster purse…

Mr. pointed out that I do this a lot.  We shop, I find cute stuff, I talk myself out of buying it, I go home and think about said cute stuff, I decide I DO want it and I SHOULD buy it, I go back to get it and it’s gone, I spend hours (and sometimes days/weeks/months) looking for said cute stuff.  Sometimes I’m lucky and I find it, other times my now obsessive desire for said cute stuff goes unfulfilled. 

So here, online where things go to be forever in the internet ether, I am vowing to stop over thinking my purchases and buy when I see something I want. 

Better to buy and return, than to not buy and perpetually long for…right?

No comments:

Post a Comment